Welcome to another Evolution of Painting post. All week I thought it would be a different painting that I would be sharing with you this week, but in the end this painting ‘Protected Heart’ was the one that I ended up finishing.
the evolution of ‘protected heart’
At first I had no idea what this painting was going to become, so I put the canvas aside, until one day I looked at it upside down and I realised how much the drips looked like sea grass. Well it was obvious that this was going to be mermie painting then! I added a few more elements before toning the whole painting down with a coat of this awesome paint I’ve bought from the dollar store. It is an acrylic antique white, but it is really transparent. So it leaves a lovely muted tone with all the background popping through! The final sketch and the first layer on. More details painted in, her face is starting to take shape. I have never really dithered about colours in my paintings, i just go with my gut, but this painting really challenged me in the colours department! Here I am trying my very own ‘ombre’ hair style! I am not sure if it will work but experimenting is fun! I am kinda liking this softer hair colour. I was stuck with the colour of her top – so I asked Bug what colour. Predictably she said ‘Purple!’ I didn’t think I wanted a shimmery green tail, so I tried pink, blue and even red and nothing worked. So green it was + green worked the best in the end! Details added: the heart, the bubbles, her necklace and the sea grass. And here she is – ‘Protected Heart’
The colour pallet was my biggest struggle with this painting, maybe because of the yellow + pink elements in the back ground. And even though I wanted her to blend, I also wanted her to be the focus of the painting, so that was a struggle too. But in the end I am totally happy with how she turned out.
‘Protected Heart’ will be debuted next weekend at the Canberra Hand Made Markets June 6th + 7th at Epic Exhibition Park
Have an awesome weekend!